Cockroaches are insects that have been around since ancient times. The insects are dirty pests that invade any kind of area and tolerate any kind of climate well. In fact, you can find cockroaches in arctic areas as well as tropical ones. Other types of cockroaches love hanging out in swamp lands where they can skip across the water’s surface, and even in rain forest in decaying matter.
Trying to kill these insects can become a daunting task since not many methods work for killing them. The annoying bugs have the ability to survive extremely hot temperatures as well as below freezing ones.
What are the reasons for people wanting to repel the bugs away?
The reasons for why people want to repel these creatures are countless, but one of the main reasons is because they leave their fecal matter behind. Their fecal matter can cause illness and other serious health issues, which is why it is important to learn methods to keep the insects away. Other reasons people want to keep them away are:
- They contaminate food and water sources
- Love building their home inside of peoples homes or businesses
- They can reproduce quickly leading to a huge infestation fast
- Cockroaches love dinning on pet food
- The insects leave an offensive odor behind that is hard to rid
What are some of the types of cockroaches that tend to cause such issues for people?
- American Cockroach
- Brown Banded Cockroach
- German Cockroach
- Madagascar Hissing Cockroach
- Oriental Cockroach
- Smoky Brown Cockroach
- Asia Cockroach
- Death Head Cockroaches
- Albino Cockroaches
- Florida Woods Cockroaches
- Green Cockroaches
- Flying Cockroaches
- Sand Cockroaches
- Surinam Cockroaches
What are some of the types of health issues the insect’s fecal matter causes people?
- Allergic Reactions
- Asthma and Respiratory Infections and Diseases
- Bacterial Infections
- Food Poisoning
- Urinary Tract Infections
- Skin Infections
- Stomach Disorders
- Inflammation throughout the Body
- Septic Arthritis
- Viral Infections
- Parasite Infections
- Fungal Infections
- Tumor Progression
- Blindness with Serious Eye Infections
What are some of the methods that are most useful for keeping cockroaches away?
Below freezing and extreme hot temperatures may not kill off cockroaches, but there are some remedies and methods that do work for repelling cockroaches away. Some of those remedies and methods involve household cleaners, garden herbs, and pesticides such as:
- Baking Soda
- Bay Leaves
- Cucumbers and Peels
- Poison Baits such as Hydramethylon, Fipronil, Boric Acid Powder
- Insecticides such as Deltamethrin, Pyrethrin, or Pandan Leaves
- Parasitoidal Wasps
- Create Soda Bottle Traps (involves putting water in a soda bottle and placing it where the insects are entering)
Some of the ways you can prevent yourself from ever having a cockroach infestation involves keeping your house and place of business extremely clean. This means:
- Washing down surfaces that cockroaches have been hanging out in with bleach or dawn dish soap
- Keeping food of all kinds put away in the refrigerator or store containers
- Sweeping up and cleaning up all crumbs of food in any place you eat within your home or place of business
- Remove all water sources that are easy for cockroaches to drink from when thirsty
- Seal up cracks, crevices, vents, sewers and drain pipes that need fixing to prevent cockroaches from sneaking inside
- Clean up outside your home removing all debris, decaying matter and trimming trees, grasses and tall bushes
- Placing all garbage bags in sealed up containers in sheds or garages until dump day
- Always stack firewood in woodsheds or dry places since cockroaches love nesting in warm damp wood piles
- On farms, remove all straw, hay and green clippings animals eat inside dry areas
- Sprinkle caulk dust around areas you wish too keep the cockroaches away from
- Place steel wool in areas cockroaches are entering
- Spray a simple dish soap and water solution around the foundation of your home or business
What are some of the ways you can tell you have a cockroach infestation?
Some of the ways you can tell you have a cockroach infestation is by spotting tiny fecal matter around your home or business that appears to look like gritty coffee grinds. You may even find the two inch-long creatures with six legs, two antennas and wings crawling or flying around in your home. Finding dead cockroaches around your space can also mean you have an infestation, or even in your bags of
What should happen if a roach infestation is identified?
If an infestation of cockroaches is spotted you need to find out where the infestation is and then figure out ways to clean up the nest. One of the best ways to handle an infestation is by calling pest control. Pest control services can help rid the infestation away and help you prevent another one from occurring. If you find a cockroach nest you can always suck it up with a vacuum cleaner, but you will want to dump out the vacuum cleaner bag or bucket far away from your home or place of business. Once the infestation is gone, it is important you wash down the areas the infestation was found it to prevent cockroaches from coming back and to rid the horrible odor they leave behind away.
Keep Cockroaches Away Unless You Are a Scientist
With all that being said about cockroaches, surprisingly these insects do serve a positive purpose too. In fact, scientists can use these insects in the laboratory for all kinds of studying purposes such as reproductive physiology, neurobiology, social behavior, learning about sex pheromones, spatial orientation, aggressive behaviors, the biological clock of life and ecology.
So, if you do find these insects in your home and you want to get rid of them as soon as possible, consider packing them up and taking them to a place that uses these insects for studying purposes. However, if scooping these insects up and placing them into a container for scientific purposes scares the heck out of you, you can always just use the methods above to rid them away and keep them away instead. After all, these creepy crawling insect’s fecal matter is truly horrible for human health, and preventing the insects from invading human space should be on the to-do list of any home or business owner.