Everywhere you turn your dealing with a squirrel issue. The squirrels are getting into your bird feeders outside, building nest within your attic and garage area, and hanging out within the walls of your home, which could potentially be dangerous if they chew an electrical wire and start a house fire.
So, what do you do when you have a squirrel issue? Well, you figure out what squirrels are exactly, what they love eating most and where they love building their nest like homes. After, you choice methods too get rid of them, which you will soon learn about as you read this guide on getting rid of squirrels.
What are squirrels?
First, let us discuss what squirrels are. Squirrels are creatures belonging to the Sciuridae family, which consist of small to medium size rodents such as chipmunks, prairie dogs and woodchucks. Squirrels love living in indigenous areas of the world, but you can mainly find them living in South American, North America, Africa and Europe. There are many different species of squirrels too. You have your flying squirrels, ground squirrels, red squirrels and tree squirrels. All have long bushy tails, a rat like face with small hand like paws to grab stuff as well as sharp fruit teeth for chewing away at wood and nuts.
What do squirrels eat?
Squirrels do not have the ability to digest cellulous, which means they mainly feast on protein rich foods, carbohydrates and fats. This is why their main diet consists of nuts, seeds, conifer cones, mushrooms, fruits, vegetables and small insects, eggs and earthworms. Therefore, the next time you find squirrels feasting away at the bird feeder or snacking away in your gardens, you now know why. Seeds and vegetation are part of their main diet.
Where do squirrels love nesting and living?
Squirrels love nesting and living in areas that provide them with shelter, safety and warmth. This is why many squirrels tend to build homes in attics, within the walls of homes and in spots high up within your garage or garden shed. When squirrels are not making homes within your homes they do build nest within trees and borrows inside a forest or woodland area, which is much safer than your home. If you suspect squirrels are living with your home and hearing chewing and running around in your attic, garage, or walls of your home it is time to solve this situation before it becomes out of hand. If you are trying to keep these rodents out of your birdfeeders there are methods for that also.
How do you keep squirrels out of your home?
The best ways to keep squirrels out of your home is too fill in any holes or cracks along the foundation or roofline of your home. Make sure windows are sealed up tightly and attics are free and clear of any entrance points for these creatures to get into. Keep garage doors closed as much as possible when you are not in them working or running your cars and keep them clean. If a squirrel finds a hole into your home, they will use it to get in and build a nest wherever they deem safe and cozy. Thankfully, squirrels are not aggressive creatures, but they can wreck havoc, which can cause:
- House Firers
- Interior Wall Damage
- Insulation to Smell and Decay within Your Walls from being Urine Soaked
- Electrical Issues
- Pipe Damage from Chewing on Plastic
- Structural Damage to Your Home
- Dry Wall Damage
- Ceiling Damage
- Foul Smelling Odors due to Urine Soaked Ceilings, Insulation or Decaying Squirrel that Died while Nesting
What are some methods for repelling and riding squirrels away?
- Live Squirrel Traps for Indoor and Outdoor Purposes
- Keep Lawns Maintained and Keep Nuts, Seeds, Fruit and Berries Picked Up
- Keep Trashcans Tightly Closed Up and Stored away in Sheds or Garages
- Squirrel Proof Your Bird Feeders with Guards
- Do Not Hang Squirrel Feeders on Houses or on Trees
- Place Fences or Netting around Gardens to Prevent them from Feast on Your Produce or Crops
- Spray Squirrel Entrances with Squirrel Repellent
- Keep them Away from Your Home Buy Feeding Squirrels within their Own Feeders Several Feet from Your Home such as Along Your Property Line
- Add a Sensor Sprinkler System to Your Lawn, which will Spoke them Away
- Spray Bobcat Urine Along Your Property Line to Keep them Away
- Keep Attic Spaces and Garages Clean and Dry
- Cut Down Trees and Limbs Touching the Roof of Your Home
- Place Guards Over Chimneys Squirrels can Easily Crawl Down Into
- Spray Squirrel Repellent Along the Foundation of the House or Wherever Squirrels are Entering
- Call Animal Control or an Exterminator for Serious Squirrel Invasions
Bottom Line for Squirrel Removal
Even though squirrels are friendly woodland creatures that run around happily collecting their nuts you still don’t want them invading your birdfeeders or homes. The damage they can done to homes alone is enough to rid them from space as soon as you notice them.
Keep in mind also that squirrel fecal matter does contain diseases in them too that can cause a human to get extremely ill, which is reason alone to deal with a squirrel infestation immediately. However, you will have to be patient and try mainly methods before you find one that works. If none work it is time to call in the professionals and have them rid the problem for you before it worsens. After all, your home is meant to be safe and rodent free, unless you decide to have a squirrel as a pet as some people now a days do.
Latest posts by David Jackson (see all)
- Attic Pest Removal Strategies – Identifying Noises, Contol Tips & Prices - November 6, 2016
- Bed Bug Removal Guide – Tips You Need to Know to Get Rid of Bed Bugs - September 11, 2016
- Do I Need Termite Protection? Termite Protection Plans Recommendations - August 21, 2016