Creepy crawling cockroaches are one of the nastiest pests to have inside a home or business. These scampering little pest are known to cause an increase in asthma attacks in asthma patients and do bite humans leaving behind horrible sores.
Cockroaches can cause dangerous viral and bacterial infections too in humans too such as MRSA, which is short for methicillin-resistant staphylococcus aureus. It is an infection, which can sometimes result in death without proper treatment and depending on the severity of the infection. This is why it is extremely important to learn the ways to get rid of them from your home or business as soon as you are aware of the infestation.
What exactly are cockroaches?
As you may already know, cockroaches are insects that can be at least 1.5 inches long or bigger in tropical areas of the world. These insects come in all different colors, but they all tend to have flattened bodies, small heads, chewing mandibles, compound eyes and flexible antennas.
Some species of cockroaches also tend to make chirping, whistling and hissing noise, which are most of the time mating calls during breeding time. However, some noises they make are for defensive purposes.
The most common areas of the world you tend to find these insects living are tropical and subtropical regions. Typically, they love dinning on wood, but roaches are omnivores, which is why you tend to find them in the kitchens of unclean homes and restaurants. This is why it is essential to keep homes and restaurants as clean as possible. It also helps to keep trash picked up in yards and to store filled garbage bags in sealed containers. Sometimes cockroaches are found on farms and in old farmhouses where there is a lot of animal feed and droppings around. Keeping animal pens too is also important for keeping your animals healthy since animals can catch harmful infections from cockroaches too.
What are some of the best methods to use for ridding cockroaches away?
There are many methods you can use for ridding cockroaches away. Some methods involve the use of chemicals while others are simple natural methods. Some of the best methods to use are:
- Place cockroach bait traps in areas where the cockroaches are entering.
- Create your own cockroach poison using boric acid, flour and sugar combination that you mix up and distribute into small containers and place in cabinets and areas of your kitchen they enjoy hanging out near (make sure you do not place this homemade solution near foods or beverages).
- Place cockroach adhesive sticky tap traps near cockroach entrances.
- Spray a soap and water solution directly on the cockroaches as you see them or around areas they hang around.
- Call an exterminator when severe termite infestations occur.
- Place mothballs in corners of your home away from children and animals, but close enough to areas where cockroaches will smell them and be repelled away naturally.
- Seal cracks and holes within the foundation or wherever you find them in your home or business.
- Crush and place bay leaves in kitchen cabinets and corners of the home to repel them away.
- Place citrus peels or oils in cockroach entrances
How can I prevent cockroach infestations?
There are many ways you can prevent cockroach infestations, but one of the main ways you can do so is by keeping homes and businesses squeaky clean and spotless. This means keeping kitchen areas picked up, floors vacuumed, mopped and swept and trash areas as clean as possible.
Other ways you can prevent an infestation is by keeping yards clean and spraying a preventative pesticide around your business or home a few times each year. Keep in mind most pesticides are chemical based and not safe for humans or pets to be around once applied to the yard. It is also best to wait for the first rain before you let family members including pets to play outdoors.
If you do not like using chemicals you can always plant citrus plants around your home or business since roaches hate the smell of citric acid.
One particular citrus fruit they hate the most is lemons. You can even mix up a lemon mixture yourself and spray that every couple weeks around the outside of your home to prevent cockroaches from coming into your home. To make the mixture simply combine an organic lemon dish soap with a few gallons of water and spray the mixture along the outside of your home or business to repel them away naturally.
Exterminators Can Get Rid of Cockroaches From Your Home
If the above methods do not work for getting rid of cockroaches from your home or business it is always best to bring in the professional insect exterminators to get rid of this serious pest problem before it worsens. Remember, cockroaches can cause danger health issues to you, your family, pets and livestock. Always do whatever you can at the first signs of a cockroach infestation to keep your family and animals safe. The first signs of a cockroach infestation is seeing cockroaches or their fecal matter laying around.