Swallows may be small in size but they can do a lot of damage to your home. They go by various names including Barn Swallows and Mud Swallows particularly because they build their nests of muddy like material. Unlike the average bird that builds their nests of straw, twigs and grass, Swallows use soft mud mixed with water and other particles such as hair, feathers and grass. These nests are typically found in overhangs, beams, window jams, fixed awnings, garages, patio covers gazebos and ledges. They prefer all types of textures that are sturdy including wood, stucco and concrete. They prefer to stay up high where they will not be bothered by people and some predators.
To get rid of these nests will probably damage the area the nest sits because of what it’s made up of. In most states it is against the law to remove the nest before the birds leave it so if you have them you will need to wait until they are gone. The best way to handle such a situation is to make sure that Swallows don’t come around in the first place.
Swallows are small at 5 to 8 inches long and are slender. They are colorful and like any other bird, they are amazing to watch, but you want to take humane preventive measures to keep them from living on your home. If you already have a nest on your home then wait until the birds are finished as the damage is already done. You will need to repair the area they nested in after you remove the nest and take preventive measures to make sure they don’t come back.
Here are some of the best techniques to use to keep them away. Using more than one is the most effective.
- Keep away with taste with 4 the Birds that is a liquid that can be sprayed heavily onto the surface you find them most often. This repellent can be sprayed on trees, beams, struts, overhangs and other areas of your home with the worry of harming any animal or your home.
- Use Barrier Eagle Eye Flash Flag that is also environmentally friendly. It reflects the light of the sun blinding the birds from coming to your home and make an annoying sound to keep them away.
- A rotating owl head deters all sorts of birds from coming near as they fear their predator.
- An ultrasonic repellent such as the Ultra Sonic X and Quad Baster Pro can be sprayed around your home as well.
- Install bird netting in areas you feel they may try to build a nest including overhangs, garages, treehouses, patios, beams and anywhere you may feel is a good spot to hide.
- Irri tape is a good solution to use as it also causes plenty of annoying noises for the birds and blinds them from getting closer to your property.
After using all of these deterrents you should not see Swallows coming to making a nest on your property. If they already have you will need to remove the old nest after they leave and repair any damage made.
Using a liquid spray in this area will prevent them from returning to that spot. If all else fails call upon a wildlife specialist for assistance. However, they may try the same deterrents as suggested here to make sure that the swallows disappear.
Swallows may not only cause damage to your home where they nest they also can cause a strong odor from their feces and cause a lot of noise in the night when you’re trying to sleep. As Swallows fly around trying to make their nests around your home they might drop off many items that they chose for their nest into piping or vents that may cause a fire.
The feces of these birds carry a lot of diseases along with their nests. They carry at least 60 known diseases and if touched by your bare hand you could catch one of them. It is best to use gloves when manhandling the old nests and clean up and feces around the home to prevent the diseases from getting any of your pets sick as well.
The odor can be overwhelming depending on the severity of your swallow problem and it is best to take the steps to get rid of the old nests as soon as they leave so they will never return. If you are concerned to do it yourself then call upon a wildlife expert that can remove it for you. They will have all of the proper equipment to get the job done without spreading any diseases and they will be able to remove the bird droppings away from your home to prevent any diseases from spreading.
If you do have pets and a swallow problem then don’t let them out in the backyard until the swallow problem is gone. Take your dog for a walk rather than letting them roam near where the swallows live.