Pigeons are well known for being pests in the city. The pigeons roost on or even inside buildings where their nests become a huge problem with all droppings, nest materials and feathers. With the likelihood that they will spread diseases the pigeons have to be removed from where people live. They carry a surprisingly large number of diseases that they are able to transmit to humans. With very few predators their numbers are able to increase rapidly so the chance of diseases spreading grows.
The droppings are what cause the biggest danger of diseases spreading; the worst ones are:
- Cryptococcal meningitis - This is a fungal infection of the tissues covering our brains and spinal cord. It can cause; fever, hallucinations, headaches, nausea and vomiting, sensitivity to light and stiff neck.
- Salmonella and Listeria - Normally associated with food, salmonella can also be transmitted by pigeons. Listeria is particularly dangerous to pregnant women and babies.
- Viral encephalitis - The pigeon is the main carrier of the West Nile virus, which is a variable disease causing temporary illness to permanent nervous system damage. This is particularly dangerous to children and the elderly.
- E. coli - If you are ever in a pigeon infested area; make sure to wash your hands thoroughly. They are better transmitters of the E. Coli infection than under-cooked meat.
If you didn’t think you had reason to remove the pigeon before, just knowing about these four diseases should convince you that you need to remove them from your housing area as soon as you can.
It may be illegal in your area to poison pigeons. You must check with your state or city regulations before actually using this as a means to remove pigeons from your home. The reason for this is that a poisoned pigeon will become a serious threat to household pets that may eat it or to the wildlife in the area that may also find the dead bird and eat it.
It can also result in the city you live in to spend money to discover why all of a sudden a large number of pigeons are dying. When any number of deaths start showing up they will first suspect a disease has broken out and want to study the dead birds to discover the reason for their death.
Poison Alternatives for Pigeon Control
A better solution to getting rid of the pigeons would be to reduce their numbers with wildlife control and still provide you with a permanent solution to your problem.
- Ovocontrol is a chemical bait that will render pigeon eggs non-viable. Once you get the pigeon eating this “free” food, they will stop having babies. It’s basically a birth control for the pigeon population. It will take about six to eight months before you start seeing results, but they will be obvious.
- Pigeon repellents can make it uncomfortable for the pigeons to roost. You can find this in gel or liquid form and can be either soft or sticky. This repellent can even be purchased as a hot substance. The birds are not going to like landing in it and will find a new area to roost. While it is not a poison and will not harm the birds, it will encourage them to find a new home away from you.
- Pigeon scare balloons that have a few reflective surfaces on them and predator eyes will put the fear in the heart of the pigeon and send them away from your building. The balloons are brightly colored and can be hung in tree branches or on the eaves of buildings they are entering to ensure the pigeon flies away in fear and doesn’t want to return. Put these balloons in your balconies, patios, and boats or anywhere the pigeon is roosting on your property.
- Motion detectors can repel pigeons by creating sounds that will annoy them and make them choose another route. These detectors use ultrasonic sounds which are only heard by the pigeon when it flies into the area and activates it. Place the detector on the ground about three feet from the ground and aimed where you know the birds are going to fly. You may have to change location occasionally to make sure you keep the bird confused and annoyed and not wanting to return to your building.
The pigeon has an incredible homing ability; so trying to trap them and relocate them will pose a very difficult task. They have been known to find their way back to a location hundreds or even thousands of miles away. Your best chance of success for getting rid of the pigeon by your home is one of the tips we have listed here.